Decentralising power: The role for cities in the UK's energy sector
If cities are to realise their potential and be the powerhouses of the UK economy they will need to become far more active in the energy sector.
The report argues that disruptive trends occurring in the energy sector, including rapidly falling costs of renewable energy and pressure on the balance sheets of private utility companies, are creating both opportunities and a need for cities and local authorities to enter the energy supply market and raise finance for investment.
The event will feature the following speakers:
- Caroline Flint MP, Shadow Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change
- Sir Robert Andrew Stunell MP, Liberal Democrat MP, previously Shadow Energy Minister and Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government
- Sir Richard Leese, Leader, Manchester City Council
- Ruth Davis, Political Director, Greenpeace UK
- Reg Platt, Senior Research Fellow, IPPR
The event will be chaired by Nick Pearce, director of IPPR.
Attendance for the event is limited and space will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.