Northern rail priorities statement: five priorities for immediate action and investment
The Northern Economic Futures Commission, convened and supported by IPPR North, calls for five points of action and investment to maximise the economic potential of rail in the north of England, especially on the back of already agreed HS2 developments between London and Birmingham.
Alongside skills and innovation, transport infrastructure is crucial for ensuring that the northern economy is the driver of national prosperity that it has the potential to be. Infrastructure investment can give an immediate boost to struggling local economies as well as providing a basis for sustainable economic growth.
The five northern rail priories are:
- Northern Hub: a network of rail connections and improvements through central Manchester with improved capacity out to Liverpool, Blackpool, Leeds, Sheffield and Manchester Airport.
- HS2–Midland Mainline Connection: a Birmingham–Derby connection to hook up HS2 with the existing Midland main line to York, thereby allowing the North to reap immediate rewards from significant investment in HS2.
- Extending transpennine electrification: existing plans will see the TransPennine line electrified between Manchester and York – now this is the right time to extend this programme to include connecting lines to Middlesbrough, Scarborough and Hull, which also maximises the benefits of connections to the existing East Coast main line to Newcastle.
- Improved rolling stock: to increase cost efficiency, reduce carbon emissions and create manufacturing jobs in the region.
- Station capacity improvements at Leeds, Sheffield and Liverpool Lime Street stations: to boost train and passenger numbers and encourage a preferential shift from road to rail.
In the news
Southerners don't lose out on rail funding
The Times (£) - 19 Aug 2013
You may be interested in...
IPPR in the news
Ministers are 'not trusted'
Daily Mirror - 14 Apr 2014A real alternative to loan sharks
Sunday People - 14 Apr 2014Politicians of all stripes suffer sharp fall in trust
Telegraph - 14 Apr 201436% have faith in the parliamentary system
Metro - 14 Apr 2014
Labour pledges to introduce Regional Ministers
ITV News - 09 Apr 2014Putting the voice of English regions at the heart of decision-making
The Independent - 09 Apr 2014Labour's plan to 'bust open' civil service
Guardian - 09 Apr 2014Young electorate showing disenchantment with today’s politics
Financial Times - 08 Apr 2014
Labour's plans to boost Whitehall diversity
Evening Standard - 07 Apr 2014Dugher plan to 'bust open' Whitehall to 'working class'
BBC News Website - 07 Apr 2014Dugher will announce higher diversity targets for civil service
Independent on Sunday - 07 Apr 2014Tim Finch on The Big Migration Debate
BBC World Service - 07 Apr 2014
Michael Dugher: We need a more representative civil service
Mirror - 07 Apr 2014Politicians don't care about young people
Huffington Post - 07 Apr 2014Spencer Thompson on European jobs and skills (8min 30)
BBC World Service - 04 Apr 2014Graeme Henderson on greater collaboration between Scotland and North (1hr 36)
BBC Radio Cumbria - 04 Apr 2014
Summit will address funding for NW creatives
Manchester Evening News - 03 Apr 2014The UK's future lies in well-skilled work
The Guardian - 02 Apr 2014Hancock unveils 77 new tech levels at European Jobs and Skills Sumit
FE Week - 02 Apr 2014It’s not just prison books that are under threat, it’s British justice
The Telegraph - 02 Apr 2014