Complex new world: Translating new economic thinking into public policy
Contributor(s): Adam Lent, Greg Fisher, Geoffrey Hodgson, Pauline Anderson, Chris Warhurst, Sue Richards, Orit Gal, Eric Beinhocker, Jim Watson, Paul Ormerod, Amna Silim, Stian Westlake, John Kay, David Nash, Tony Dolphin, Michael Hallsworth
Published date: 24 Aug 2012
Download full publication Purchase via print on demand
We live in uncertain economic times. The financial crash and subsequent downturn have shaken the global economic system to its core. If one thing is certain, it is that the events of recent years have thrown mainstream economic thinking into disrepute.
In the aftermath of the crash, scholars and commentators are turning to new, heterodox economic theories as a way of better understanding how the economy really works and how the economic system might be managed more effectively. Yet although new economic thinking offers a far better account of how the economic system functions, we don’t yet have a clear idea of its implications for policymaking. In economic policymaking, orthodox economics remains the only game in town.
This book starts from the premise that insights from new economic thinking need to be taken seriously. It seeks to bring new economic thinking to the attention of policymakers and to reappraise the ways in which policy is designed and implemented when real-world economics is taken into account.
- Foreword – John Kay
- Introduction – David Nash
Part 1: An overview of new economic thinking
- Amna Silim – What is new economic thinking?
- Paul Ormerod – Networks and the need for a new approach to policymaking
- Michael Hallsworth – How complexity economics can improve government: rethinking policy actors, institutions and structures
Part 2: Policy
- Greg Fisher – Managing complexity in financial markets
- Geoffrey M Hodgson – Business reform: towards an evolutionary policy framework
- Tony Dolphin – Macroeconomic policy in a complex world
- Stian Westlake – Innovation and the new economics: some lessons for policy
- Jim Watson – Climate change policy and the transition to a low-carbon economy
- Pauline Anderson and Chris Warhurst – Lost in translation? Skills policy and the shift to skill ecosystems
- Sue Richards – Regional policy and complexity: towards effective decentralisation
Part 3: Politics
- Eric Beinhocker – New economics, policy and politics
- Orit Gal – Understanding global ruptures: a complexity perspective on the emerging ‘middle crisis’
- Adam Lent and Greg Fisher – A complex approach to economic policy
Paul Ormerod, New Era Economics panel
Eric Beinhocker, New Era Economics panel and Growth and Prosperity panel
Author(s) : Tony Dolphin - 03 Oct 2012
Author(s) : Sue Richards - 30 Aug 2012
Author(s) : Eric Beinhocker - 09 Aug 2012
You may be interested in...
IPPR in the news
Spencer Thompson on small firms, jobs and sick pay (7min)
BBC Radio Essex - 22 Apr 2014Graeme Cooke on alternatives to payday lenders (45min)
BBC Radio 4 Today - 22 Apr 20141% increase in NI rates could bring in £4bn each year for NHS
The Independent - 22 Apr 2014One-off payday-loan levy would help fund affordable lending
The Guardian - 21 Apr 2014
Church of Scotland welcomes IPPR plan for affordable lenders
The Herald - 21 Apr 2014Call for clampdown on payday lenders
The Times - 21 Apr 2014We must do everything we can to help SMEs carry on the good work
The Independent - 21 Apr 2014Most of these elderly people have a simple need – not to be on their own
The Observer - 20 Apr 2014
One in four small firms plans to hire this year
The Telegraph - 19 Apr 2014Wales says no to Scottish independence
WalesOnline - 19 Apr 2014Ministers are 'not trusted'
Daily Mirror - 14 Apr 2014A real alternative to loan sharks
Sunday People - 14 Apr 2014
Politicians of all stripes suffer sharp fall in trust
Telegraph - 14 Apr 201436% have faith in the parliamentary system
Metro - 14 Apr 2014Labour pledges to introduce Regional Ministers
ITV News - 09 Apr 2014Putting the voice of English regions at the heart of decision-making
The Independent - 09 Apr 2014
Labour's plan to 'bust open' civil service
Guardian - 09 Apr 2014Young electorate showing disenchantment with today’s politics
Financial Times - 08 Apr 2014Labour's plans to boost Whitehall diversity
Evening Standard - 07 Apr 2014Dugher plan to 'bust open' Whitehall to 'working class'
BBC News Website - 07 Apr 2014