A new national economic policy for the UK
- What are the key challenges facing the economy over the next 15 years - both the legacies of the past and the trends of the future?
- How can Brexit best be shaped to achieve sustainable growth and a more broadly shared prosperity?
- What should be our vision of a just and prosperous economy in 2030?
- What indicators and goals should be used to define economic success?
Industrial strategy – investing in great British businesses
- What and who are firms for? Does corporate governance need to be reformed?
- What form of government industrial strategy will best support businesses to increase investment, raise productivity and build supply chains?
- Do capital markets need to be longer-term? What role is there for the state in providing “patient capital”?
- How can infrastructure investment be increased and improved?
The fourth industrial revolution
- What impact will automation and machine intelligence have on employment? How can these processes best be shaped?
- How can government best support science and innovation?
- How can the UK best generate growth and employment out of decarbonisation?
- How should government respond to new ‘winner takes all’ technology platforms and market structures? What impact will new technologies have on the public sector?
Work, income and labour markets
- What roles do the national living wage, investment in productivity, stronger labour organisation, the tax and benefit system and other measures have in raising low incomes?
- Can flexible labour markets, such as ‘zero hours contracts’ and contracted self-employment, be better regulated?
- How can people best be enabled to combine paid work, childcare, caring for other dependants and continuing education over their lifetimes?
- How can continuing gender, class and ethnic minority pay gaps be closed, and opportunities for career progression and good work increased?
Wealth and ownership
- Are developments in technologies and business models leading to a greater concentration of wealth?
- What roles can capital ownership, taxation housing and land policy play in creating a fairer distribution of wealth?
- Can new models be developed which give employees and citizens an ownership or capital stake in successful businesses?
- How can the social and community-based economy best be developed?
Restoring economic power to the UK’s nations and regions
- What institutions and powers should support and drive economic development at subnational level?
- What fiscal powers should be devolved, and to whom?
- Is there potential in regional approaches to immigration policy?
- Are reforms needed to the education and skills systems to contribute to more sustainable and broadly-shared growth?
A new macroeconomic, fiscal and financial framework
- How can fiscal policy best support sustainable growth and broadly shared prosperity? What is the appropriate share of taxation as a proportion of national income?
- How can the tax system be made more progressive, and more supportive of wealth creation?
- Do we need a new monetary policy framework?
- Are the post-crisis reforms to financial regulation sufficient?