IPPR US West Coast Green Alliances learning exchange
A learning exchange on the US West Coast for organisations involved in the Green Jobs agenda.
- Week-long learning exchange based in San Francisco Bay, California
- Meetings and visits hosted by leading national alliances the Apollo Alliance and Green for All who have national headquarters in California
- One-day summit bringing together leading experts and practitioners on the green jobs agenda from across the US, including a networking meal
- Visits to local initiatives spearheaded by alliances, including innovative green skills training schemes to create pathways out of unemployment and low pay into work
- Visits to leading examples of community-led businesses in the renewable and clean tech sectors
- A focus on the state and local government role in creating strong local vision for a green economy and on innovative approaches to securing private investment, including meetings with key politicians and policymakers
- Briefings from academics and think thanks on the latest national, state-level and local approaches to building a low carbon economy in the US.
A full programme will be available shortly.
Travel and costs
The learning exchange will run full-time from Monday 28 March to Friday 1 April, with hotel accommodation from Sunday 27 March to Friday 1 April. The cost of the exchange will be £950 (excluding flights and insurance). This includes:
- San Francisco hotel accommodation from Sunday 27 March to Friday 1 April inclusive with breakfast only
- All US internal travel
- A week-long programme of arranged meetings with key organisations and individuals involved in the US Green Jobs agenda and visits to cutting-edge initiatives
- A one-day summit and networking meal
- A full delegate pack containing background information for meetings and visits, a suggested reading list and other relevant travel and in-country information
- An evaluation session.
The cost is exclusive of flights and insurance. Participants will be expected to organise their own travel to San Francisco. Please see the booking section below for more information and to make an application.
Who is the learning exchange for?
This exchange is for individuals and organisations who are interested in the potential for the formation of broad-based alliances in the UK to stimulate good quality green jobs in local communities.
We are particularly keen to have those individuals and organisations with a genuine desire to progress these aims and objectives participating in the exchange.
Those with an interest in this agenda are likely to include environmental NGOs, a range of community-based organisations, green industry, national and local policymakers and trade unions
Benefits of attending
As a result of the exchange, participants will be better informed about the different ways in which grassroots level organisations can help to stimulate green jobs and how to do this in the UK context.
In addition to taking part in the exchange, delegates will be invited to take part in ippr roundtables to take this agenda forward on return to the UK and in future activity to shape the formation of national and local alliances in the UK.
Please download the booking form below. We will require completion of the booking form and a deposit of £190 (20% of the cost of the exchange) by Wednesday 15 December 2010. We will require full payment of the remaining costs of the exchange (£760) by Friday 28 January 2011.
As we will only be taking a small group, places on the exchange are very limited. If interest exceeds the number of places available, delegates will be selected on the basis of their aims and objectives for taking part in the learning exchange (to be outlined in the text box of the booking form). Deposits will be returned if places are unavailable. Early booking is advisable.
This project is generously supported by the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation.