Kickstarting the Plan for Growth
IPPR is delighted to invite you to a webinar on ‘Kickstarting the Plan for Growth’ to mark the launch of a new program by the Centre for Economic Justice on industrial policy, productivity, and economic strategy. This will take place on Tuesday 29th June at 09:30-11:00 (BST) via Zoom.
In March, the government replaced the 2017-era Industrial Strategy with a refreshed Plan for Growth, scrapping the Industrial Strategy Council in the process. Regardless of whether it is called an ‘industrial strategy’ or not, to achieve net zero and to “level up” regions of the UK, the government will need a framework to engage, long-term, with the private sector. We look forward to discussing the huge number of unanswered questions that this raises, such as:
- What should the Plan for Growth be aiming to achieve? As we emerge from the Covid-19 crisis, how can we ensure the economy recovers but also seize the opportunity for renewal?
- How can the government go beyond tax deductions and free-ports to drive faster, fairer and more sustainable growth?
- Is it a fresh start? How can the Plan for Growth build on the progress made and business engagement in the grand challenges and sector deals?
- How can the move from BEIS to the Treasury help deliver cross-government coordination and progress?
- Lord Jim O’Neill, Chair, Chatham House
- Prof Diane Coyle, Bennett Professor of Public Policy, University of Cambridge
- Juergen Maier, Chair, Digital Catapult and Vice-Chair, Northern Powerhouse Partnership
- George Dibb, Head of the Centre for Economic Justice, IPPR
- Chair: Carys Roberts, Executive Director, IPPR