The construction industry is of vital strategic importance to the UK. A healthy construction industry will be essential if we are to build the homes, commercial property and infrastructure that our economy and our country needs. Yet the construction industry faces a grave threat from Brexit.
We have identified three significant challenges facing the construction industry.
- Productivity growth in construction has been stagnant.
- Construction faces severe and growing skills shortages.
- Construction has become increasingly reliant on EU migration.
We set out recommendations in three areas.
- Implementing an industrial strategy for construction.
- Building a skills strategy for construction.
- Ensuring a migration policy that works for construction.
State of the North 2024: Charting the course for a decade of renewalThe North’s communities are ambitious for a better future, but face systemic and pronounced inequalities. Gaps in power, wealth, opportunity, and health result in shorter, sicker, less fulfilling lives.
No home left behind: Funding a just transition to clean heat in ScotlandHow can we ensure that investment in clean heating in Scottish homes drives a just transition, sharing costs and benefits fairly?
The asylum backlog: Job done?This blog post sets out how the department must now grapple with a new set of backlog challenges.