Building Britain's Future? The construction workforce after Brexit
The construction industry is of vital strategic importance to the UK. A healthy construction industry will be essential if we are to build the homes, commercial property and infrastructure that our economy and our country needs. Yet the construction industry faces a grave threat from Brexit.
We have identified three significant challenges facing the construction industry.
- Productivity growth in construction has been stagnant.
- Construction faces severe and growing skills shortages.
- Construction has become increasingly reliant on EU migration.
We set out recommendations in three areas.
- Implementing an industrial strategy for construction.
- Building a skills strategy for construction.
- Ensuring a migration policy that works for construction.